DIRECTIONS & map
All events are Free
Visit the Sound in Space web site for
a complete schedule and more info: http://www.soundinspace.org
Sound in Space will traverse diversity by presenting
cross sections of the local sound art community. From sound installation
to Fluxus note card pieces and field recordings to live ambient music, the
topography of the musical fringe is as varied as the community is geographically
ARTISTS AND PARTICIPANTS:
| Danielle Adair
| Daniel Corall
Faraway Places Modal Energy Music...
D. Jean Hester
| Michael Pisaro
CHRONOLOGICAL LISTING OF ALL HAPPENINGS:
- Installations throughout the month by Marc Nimoy, Cooper Baker,
Clay Chaplin, Phil Stearns, Thadeus Frazier-Reed, and Daniel Corral.
Endurance Van (nightly with events)
- Commitment in confinement - not for the faint - extreme work
in the back of a van. Works of extreme duration, volume, frequencies,
repetition, etc. will explore the reaches of one's determination in an exercise
Thurs 2/7/08 at 8PM - Flora by Fauna
- Friendly things to do with plants. Works written for
or by plants including Proposition by Alison Enowles, Branches and Child
of Tree by John Cage, Sticks by Christian Wolff and others.
Fri 2/8/08 at 8PM - Dark Side of the Sea: Tales of the Teleosts
and the Dark Light White
- No ocular nerves will be harmed however this experiment may
induce an excessive release of melatonin and dopamine. Simultaneity
through overlap, this night will meld works of poetry, music, film, video
and theater that question the paradigm of light---from matches to magnesium
flares or flashlights to lite-brites.
Sat 2/9/08 at 8PM - Dippy Trippy
- A night of music dedicated to your third eye. Come play
your brain waves with an EKG, experience the cascading riffs of "Faraway
Places" and other physiological/psychedelic audio oddities that manipulate
your senses and subconscious. With Brownie Mix contest.
Thurs 2/14/08 at 8PM - Digital Meat
- Explorations of the ego through digital extensions. This
is a night of music with alternative controllers and new digital/analog instruments
ranging from DIY gloves, 3-d sensing microphones, and robots.
Fri 2/15/08 at 8PM - Art in Space
- An evening of works by Art Jarvinen, the last frontiersman featuring
his Physical Poetry pieces (abstract theatrical vignettes) followed
by a set by Baghdad Batteries ; brainchild of Jarvinen and
Lewis Keller. Laptops, amplified bicycle wheels and assorted percussion.
Sat 2/16/08 at 8PM - Card Flucks Us
- Everything you've never thought you could do with a note card ,
this is a night of audience driven conception and realization of note card
pieces led by Sara Roberts. Bring your ideas and have them performed. Potluck
for Peace. Bring your nature loving hippie peace food.
Thurs 2/21/08 at 8PM - OutsideInsideOutside...
- The unnaturalness of natural. This is a night of field
recordings with local composers and sound artists. A pre-concert talk on
the history of field recordings and a brief overview of the process of recording/playing
Fri 2/22/08 at 8PM - Trayle by the Sea
- A bucolic frolic through odd sonic tundra with electronic
guru Mark Trayle.
Sat 2/23/08 at 8PM - VolkerFolker
- Bring your magic dragon . A night of folk music with
local singer-songwriters and performance artists. Bring a pie night.
Wed 2/27/08 at 8PM - AnkerBlock
- Watch this duo tear a whole in the space time continuum by pushing
the limits of aural boundaries. A night of music with Phil Niblock and Thomas
Thurs 2/28/08 at 8PM - Where the Hell is Brian Eno?
- Way beyond the airport, this is music for submarines and spaceships .
From analog synthesizers to digital processing, audiences are invited to
come 'chill-in-space' with an evening of ambient electronic music.
Fri 2/29/08 at 8PM - Nude Media
- You get it. Media. Nudity.
Sat 3/1/08 at 8PM - The Freed Reed
- A night of some songs, a jam and one lecture all about the accordion.
Download this Press Release